|Also known as:||Grant's House / Grantshouse / RAF Whiteburn / RFC Whiteburn / Whiteburn Aerodrome|
|Date:||October 1916 - 1919|
|Used By:||RAF / RFC|
|Landing Surface Types:||Unpaved|
One of Britain’s more deceptively isolated World War One airfields was Whiteburn in the Scottish Borders. Various Flights of No 77 Squadron operated from here on Home Defence patrols, employing at first a mixture of Royal Aircraft Factory BE2 and BE12 variants before switching to Avro 504Ks at the beginning of 1918. An aeroplane shed and some support facilities were situated on the south-east side of this Flight station.
Surviving information is scrappy but it appears Whiteburn often had to operate under frequent adverse conditions due to its exposed and high location. It nevertheless remained busy until the Armistice of November 1918, after which activity soon ran down prior to the airfield closing during 1919. This place quickly faded from memory once all the buildings were sold on site at public auction in January 1920, though acknowledgement of immediate area public road improvements to assist the airfield and associated personnel lasted at least a little longer.
The following organisations are either based at, use and/or have at least potentially significant connections with the airfield (as at 01/07/2013):
- Cockburnspath Community Council
Main unit(s) present:
- No 77 Sqn
Whiteburn Farm memorial cairn on western edge of airfield alongside the Southern Upland way, incorporating ABCT’s Whiteburn Airfield memorial plaque, 26 June 2019.
Plans of Whiteburn, c. 1918. Courtesy of Ed Andrews
|Home Defence Flight Station(s):|
|Home Defence Landing Ground(s):||
Acklington (Southfields) / Cairncross / Charterhall (Eccles Tofts) / Donibristle / Gifford (Townhead) / Gilmerton / Milfield (Woodbridge) / Old Heton / Seahorses (Elford) / Skateraw / South Belton / South Kilduff / Tynehead / Winfield (Horndean)