|Also known as:||RAF Templeton|
|Current Status:||Army training land / Industry / Leisure activity / Open land|
|Date:||10 November 1942 - 9 October 1945; subsequent minor use|
|Landing Surface Types:||Paved|
It could be said that Templeton has had quite an unusual history in that this airfield has seen much more use as a disused airfield instead of as an active one. Once opened on 10 November 1942 and fully up and running from January 1943, Nos 306 Ferry Training Unit and then 3 (Coastal) Operational Training Unit employed this place as a main base and satellite respectively over the next twelve months. Very limited anti-aircraft co-operation flying barely kept up a semblance of activity during 1944 before part of No 8 (Coastal) OTU stayed in the first half of 1945. Many different aircraft types passed through during this time, ranging from Bristol Beaufighters and Beauforts to Avro Ansons and de Havilland Mosquitoes, but Templeton perhaps suffered from a lack of clear strategy on the parts of military planners, plus perhaps a mixture of its geographical position, connection with Haverfordwest (Withybush) and a certain lack of hangarage.
The airfield closed when transferred to the Admiralty in October 1945 but since the 1950s increasing and diverse activity has resulted in Templeton being used far more than in wartime. Army driver training and exercises have played a big part in this and can see considerable activity at times. Even aviation has never quite gone away as the Haverfordwest Model Club is based here for model aircraft flying. Recreational civil gliding has occurred in the past, in some ways following a tradition from when No 74 Gliding School stayed between 1944 and leaving for Carew Cheriton in 1946. All three runways remain in relatively good condition to further enable this resurgence of positive use to take place.
The following organisations are either based at, use and/or have at least potentially significant connections with the airfield (as at 01/09/2011):
- Haverfordwest Model Club
- K.P. Thomas & Son
- Preseli Storage
- Templeton Community Council
- Templeton Heritage Group
ABCT would like to thank the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales for the use of their images. Find out more here: www.rcahmw.gov.uk and search their database here: www.coflein.gov.uk.
Main unit(s) present:
- No 3 (Coastal) OTU
- No 8 (Coastal) OTU
- No 74 EGS
- No 74 GS
- No 306 FTU
- No 595 Sqn
- No 1607 (AAC) Flight
- West Wales GC
Video of the memorial unveiling at Templeton on 27 August 2016:
Aerial footage of Templeton, c. January 2017. Courtesy of Oliver Bird