Abbots Bromley (Stone)
Did you know?"
There is still an Abbots Bromley used for flying today but this is a separate private farm strip to the south-west at Yeatsall Farm."
|Also known as:||RAF Abbots Bromley|
|Date:||June 1940 - 31 March 1949|
|Landing Surface Types:||Grass|
Not to be confused with Yeatsall Farm Airfield, also known as Abbots Bromley, RAF Abbots Bromley was a supportive training airfield for originally Meir and then Burnaston. In November 1940 the airfield was known as Stone despite this market town lying twelve miles away but a map in December however describes the airfield as Abbots Bromley.
Abbots Bromley existed as a Relief Landing Ground or, as places like this sometimes became known at the time, a Forced Landing field. The airfield was the result of a wider effort to move instructional units away from the front line in the southeast where the danger of Luftwaffe attack was increasing. Very little is known about the first eighteen months of the airfield’s life other than a few aircraft accidents: two fatalities were reported on 6 November 1941 after two crashes in two days, this following two accidents in June of the same year.
Basic pilot training took place at the airfield using Miles Magisters and de Havilland Tiger Moths, firstly as part of No 5 Elementary Flying Training School until December 1941 and subsequently No 16 EFTS up to the end of the Second World War. From 15 May 1945 the airfield was handed over to No 21 Maintenance Unit for bomb storage use as the site was deemed not suitable for expansion in a flying capacity as a road surrounded it.
After the final closure of Abbots Bromley in 1949, the site has been used for agriculture and poultry farming. The final Type B Robin hangar at the airfield itself was demolished between 2011 and 2013 but another Robin, being used as a store by Staffordshire Council in Uttoxeter, is likely to have moved there from Abbots Bromley. A derelict guardhouse is now all that remains of the airfield today that also included nine Blister hangars during the Second World War. The airfield was nevertheless still used as a turning point during the 1950 King’s Cup Air Race in its final contribution to the aviation world.
The following organisations are either based at, use and/or have significant connections with the airfield (as at 01/07/2013):
- Abbots Bromley Parish Council
Main unit(s) present:
- No 5 EFTS
- No 16 EFTS
- No 21 MU
The King's Cup Air Race in 1950 used Abbots Bromley as a turning point.